As promised, here is a gut-friendly recipe that will boost your immune system and have you kicking the flu to the curb:
Homemade Probiotic-Rich Sauerkraut
- 1 Quart-sized 32 ounce wide mouth Mason jar
- 1 Large bowl
- 1 Kitchen towel
- Small 4 ounce Mason jars
- 1 large head green cabbage
- 1 Tablespoon sea salt
- Cut the cabbage in half, slice finely, put half in a bowl then and add ½ Tablespoon sea salt.
- Using your hands, begin squeezing the cabbage until it begins to wilt.
- Add the other half of the cabbage and ½ Tablespoon sea salt….continue squeezing.
- When a briny liquid has been achieved, pack the cabbage into a clean Mason jar. Push the cabbage down hard to remove most of the extra space.
- If your cabbage contained enough moisture, you should have liquid covering the cabbage completely. If there is not enough liquid, add some salt water until the cabbage is completely submerged. To do this, mix 1 cup of water with 1 teaspoon sea salt.
- Cover the uncapped mason jar with a kitchen towel and set in location at room temperature, out of direct sunlight.
- For the first few days, check on the cabbage and add extra liquid to keep the cabbage submerged. A bit of white foaminess is normal. You will notice the cabbage lose its bright green color but that’s completely fine! However, be on the lookout for anything that looks discolored or moldy.
- Taste your sauerkraut after about a week. It will probably taste a bit tangy but will need more time. The length of time will vary depending on the ambient temperature.
- When finished, store covered in the refrigerator and enjoy as often as possible.
Cheers to your health!
The Team at PURE